Microbiology Plasmids and Resources
Addgene’s repository contains plasmid tools for a range of microbial fields, including bacteria, viruses, parasites such as protozoa, and fungi. Find plasmids below for the species you work with, or check out our additional microbiology resources.
The plasmids Addgene distributes cannot be used to reconstitute self-replicating microbes or recreate the diseases they cause. The standard format for providing individual plasmids is a bacterial stab (of a laboratory E. coli strain). Addgene continues to monitor its library and distributions in accordance with export laws and biosafety regulations.
Addgene Microbiology Resources
- Plasmid Kits for Microbiology: Sets of plasmids for fluorescence, cloning and expression, and synthetic biology.
- CRISPR Resources: Find essential background information on using CRISPR in your lab, specific CRISPR tools for genome editing in bacteria, and more.
- Synthetic Biology: Browse our deposited tools and resources, or read our guide on assembly standards.
Browse Plasmids by Microbe System
Plasmids for Bacteria
Don’t see your field listed? Know of some great plasmid tools for the community that aren't in the repository? Help us widen our resources for the community by depositing your useful tools , or by suggesting plasmids for the collection.
Looking for E. coli or yeast plasmids? Addgene has a wide variety of tools for work in these model organisms. See below for plasmid kits and other resources, or use our Search page to look for specific genes or applications.
Plasmid Kits for Microbiology
Kits are sets of plasmids intended for use together (e.g. cloning and expression systems) and therefore supplied as one item.
- FRET-based biosensors: E. coli expression - Pertz Lab
- Bacterial Fluorescence Labeling: Broad-Range Rainbow Vectors - Barbier Lab
Cloning and Expression
- Bacteria and yeast expression vectors: FX cloning System - Geertsma and Dutzler Labs
- EasyClone 2.0 Yeast Toolkit- Borodina Lab
- Golden GATEway cloning system- Wittbrodt Lab
- MultiSite Gateway Kit: Creating three-part fusion proteins - Planas and Santalucia Labs
- pCri System: Heterologous protein expression in E. coli, B. subtilis and P. pastoris - Gomis-Rüth Lab
- pOSIP plasmid kit: Integration of DNA into prokaryotic chromosomes - Endy and Shearwin Labs
- Vaccinia virus ORF library: Expression library that contains each of the predicted open reading frames for vaccinia virus - Bennink and Yewdell Labs
- Yeast Gateway kit: 285 vectors for expression, markers, fusion proteins, etc - Lindquist Lab
- BIOFAB plasmid set: E. coli gene expression - Endy Lab
- CIDAR MoClo Parts Kit: Molecular cloning for E. coli - Densmore Lab
- EcoFlex MoClo: Modular cloning for applications like recombinant protein purification and cell-free circuit design in E. coli - Freemont Lab
- MoClo-YTK: Assembly of single and multi-gene constructs for S. cerevisiae - Dueber Lab
- Yeast Prototrophy: Restoration of prototrophy in common S. cerevisiae lab strains - Ralser Lab
Resources for Microbiology
General CRISPR Resources
Read our CRISPR Guide for a general introduction to CRISPR technology.
Check out our CRISPR reference page for CRISPR resources, such as depositor protocols and gRNA design software.
Addgene yeast CRISPR resources
Bacterial CRISPR Resources
The CRISPR technology was developed from bacterial immune systems, but its use in bacterial genome editing is not always straightforward. Read our CRISPR Methods for Bacterial Genome Engineering blog post to see how Addgene depositors are making this possible in a range of organisms.
Find CRISPR tools for use in genome editing of bacteria.
CRISPathBrick Multiplex Plasmid: CRISPR expression in E. coli - Koffas Lab
Additional Addgene Resources
Synthetic Biology Tools and Resources: Browse plasmids, from networks and gene regulation to sensing and signaling, to perform your synbio experiment.
Bacterial Expression Systems: Find plasmids to perform your experiment in a particular bacterial expression system.
Fluorescent Protein Guide: Addgene's extensive fluorescent protein plasmid collection is organized by application and by color.
- European Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Archive for Functional Analysis (EUROSCARF)
- JGI Intergrated Microbial Genomes (IMG)
- National Collection of Yeast Cultures (NCYC)
- NIH AIDS Reagent Program
- Saccharomyces Genome Database (SGD)
- Saccharomyces Genome Deletion Project