How to Order
Placing Your Order
For ordering instructions, see the section below for the type of item you wish to order.
- All orders must be placed online through our website.
- We cannot accept orders by phone, fax, or email since each order requires a Material Transfer Agreement. This document can only be generated through our online ordering process.
- Using a purchase order (PO)? Find more information on our purchase order page.
- Need help? Contact us!
- Email: email@example.com
- US Phone: +1 617-225-9000 — 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM EST Mon-Fri
- UK Phone: +44 (0) 208-943-7459 — 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM GMT Mon-Fri
- Log in to your account. Don't have an account? Create an account here!
- Search for plasmids using various criteria (PI, gene, expression system, selectable marker, etc.). You can also browse plasmids by category. If you can't find what you're looking for, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Use our simple checkout process to complete your order online. You will be asked for billing and shipping information during checkout.
- After your order is placed, Addgene will email the required Material Transfer Agreements (MTAs) to you, or your institution's Technology Transfer Office.
- Once Addgene approves the signed MTAs, your order will ship in about 2-3 business days.
- Please ensure that your plasmid is unpacked, stored at the proper temperature, and extracted within 2 weeks of receipt. For details, please visit our recipient instructions page.
- Log in to your account. Don't have an account? Create an account here!
- See our viral service inventory or search for specific plasmids to see if viral service is offered.
- Each viral service request will include virus associated DNA (see our FAQ for more information).
- Use our simple checkout process to complete your request online. You will need to enter payment information and billing and shipping addresses during checkout.
- After your order is placed, Addgene will email the required Material Transfer Agreements (MTAs) to you or your institution's Technology Transfer Office.
- Once Addgene approves the signed MTAs, your order will ship within about 1 week.
- Please ensure that your virus is unpacked and stored at the proper temperature immediately upon receipt. For details, please visit our recipient instructions page.
Video: Ordering Guide
Watch our video below for step-by-step instructions on how to place an order. Click the link to open and close the video window. If you have trouble accessing the video, please try viewing on YouTube.
International Orders (Outside of the United States)
Addgene ships plasmids and viruses around the world.
Visit our International Ordering Page for additional country-specific details, such as local distributors and import information. If you are a scientist in Brazil, Italy, Kazakhstan, Mexico, or Russia, visit the International Ordering Page for special distribution information and requirements.
If you are ordering from Australia or New Zealand, you will need to provide an Import Permit. Details can be found on our Permits Page.
Pricing and Payment
Please note that Addgene only accepts payment in USD.
You can see final pricing (including shipping) in your cart before proceeding through checkout.
Need a quote? Just log in, add your items to your cart, and click the quote link at the bottom of your cart page. When you are ready to place your order, continue through checkout. Please note that Addgene can only accept orders placed through our website.
Addgene is a nonprofit organization dedicated to providing the scientific community with open, efficient, and affordable access to plasmid research tools. The nominal fee for ordering plasmids is used to cover operating costs and improve the repository. There is no fee for depositing plasmids.
|Plasmids Ordered||Price Per Plasmid||Total US Shipping||Total International Shipping|
|1-5||$65 USD||$20 USD||$45 USD|
|6-10||$55 USD||$25 USD||$50 USD|
|11-15||$55 USD||$30 USD||$55 USD|
|16-20||$55 USD||$35 USD||$60 USD|
|21+||$45 USD||$40* USD||$65* USD|
*Additional $5 shipping charges apply for each additional 5 plasmids ordered.
- This table does not apply to kits and libraries. Pricing and shipping for those materials can be found on their respective item pages.
Viral Service Pricing
Addgene is a nonprofit organization dedicated to providing the scientific community with open, efficient and affordable access to plasmid research tools. The nominal fee for ordering plasmids is used to cover operating costs and improve the repository. There is no fee for depositing plasmids.
|Virus based on||
Price per Lentiviral Prep
-LV catalog items
|Price per Concentrated Lentiviral Prep
-LVC catalog items
|Price per AAV Preparation
-AAV catalog items
|Price of Virus Associated DNA1
-vdna catalog items
|Total US Shipping||Total International Shipping2|
|Individual Plasmid||$220 USD||$360 USD||$350 USD||$30 USD||$60 USD||$150 USD|
|Pooled Library3||$2700 USD||$3500 USD||--||$175-$250 USD||$100 USD||$150 USD|
1 For each unique plasmid or library, only a single order of virus associated DNA is required when requesting a viral preparation. In other words, if you request two or more viral preparations of the same plasmid or pooled library, only one order of virus associated DNA would be required.
2 Because our viruses must be shipped on dry ice, World Courier must be used for shipping virus to some locations to ensure dry ice is replenished and proper temperatures are maintained. If your virus order requires the use of World Courier, Addgene will contact you prior to shipping your order. World Courier prices will vary from the prices shown in this table.
3 Pooled library viral prep and virus associated DNA prices can be found on the material item pages for each library.
Addgene accepts two types of payment information:
- Pay by credit card: Addgene will charge your card when your order ships.
- Pay by purchase order: Addgene will send an invoice to the billing address entered during checkout.
Addgene's goal is to make research tools available to the entire scientific community. If your laboratory cannot afford the standard prices, Addgene can help defray this cost. This policy exists to enable the distribution of materials to underfunded labs (e.g. in developing countries). If you believe your lab qualifies, please email Addgene at email@example.com with a brief explanation of your financial situation.
For more information, please see our pricing and payment FAQ.
Addgene uses UPS for shipping. When your order is shipped, you will receive an email notification including the UPS tracking number for your reference.
- Individual plasmids are shipped as bacterial stabs at room temperature. Stabs are stable for up to 2 weeks in transit. For directions on recovering your plasmid from your stab, visit our plasmid recipient instructions page.
- Kits are generally shipped on dry ice. Due to customs restrictions, some international locations require kits to be shipped at room temperature. For directions on recovering the samples in your kit, visit our kit recipient instructions page. Specific instructions for each kit are also available on the kit’s webpage, which you can find by searching by catalog number.
- Orders containing both individual plasmids and kits may be shipped separately.
- Viruses and virus associated DNA are shipped on dry ice. For directions on how to handle your virus upon receipt, visit our virus recipient instructions page.
For more information, please see our shipping FAQ.
Distribution Policy and MTAs
Addgene's entire collection is available to academic and nonprofit institutions.
By request of the depositing institutions, a limited subset of Addgene's plasmid collection is available to for-profit entities.
Addgene requires a signed implementing letter and Uniform Biological Materials Transfer Agreement (UBMTA) to accompany each order. This Material Transfer Agreement (MTA) is widely accepted by both US and international institutions. It offers intellectual property and liability protection for the material providers, as well as informs recipients how the material may be used.
To begin the MTA process, the recipient scientist needs to sign the Recipient Scientist Acknowledgement, which Addgene emails when the order is placed. Addgene then emails a link to the Material Transfer Agreement that is to be forwarded to the appropriate signatory. Addgene cannot process or ship an order until the MTA process is completed. For more information about Addgene MTAs, please visit our MTA page.Read our guide on the Addgene MTA System:
All purchases are subject to Addgene's Terms of Purchase.