How to Order from Japan
Ordering from Addgene
Thank you for your interest in ordering from Addgene and becoming part of our global research community.
Place orders online:
- All orders must be placed online through our website.
- We cannot accept orders by phone, fax, or email.
Placing Your Order
Place an order with Addgene in a few simple steps:
- Login to your Addgene account. If you need to create an account, you can register here.
- Find the plasmids you need in our online catalog and add them to your cart.
- Use our simple check-out process to complete your order online. You will need to enter payment information and billing and shipping addresses when checking out.
- After your order is placed, Addgene will email the required Material Transfer Agreements (MTAs) to you or your institution's Technology Transfer Office.
- Once Addgene receives the signed MTAs, your order will be processed and shipped.
Alternatively, place your order through Addgene's distributor in Japan (住商ファーマインターナショナル（株）経由での注文)
Customers in Japan can place orders for Addgene plasmids through Summit Pharmaceuticals International Corporation if they would prefer. For details, see Ordering Instructions for Scientists in Japan.
Non-profit and Academic Customers:
If your organization has not worked with Addgene in the past, we will verify its status as non-profit or academic institution before you will be able to place an order. We will notify you by email within 1 business day regarding your account verification.
A limited portion of Addgene's plasmid collection is available to for-profit entities. Visit Addgene's Industry Distribution page for more information.
Pricing and Payment
Addgene is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing the scientific community with open, efficient and affordable access to plasmid research tools. The nominal fee for ordering plasmids is used to cover operating costs and improve the repository. There is no fee for depositing plasmids.
|Plasmids Ordered||Price Per Plasmid*||Total International Shipping*|
|1-5||$65 USD||$45 USD|
|6-10||$55 USD||$50 USD|
|11-15||$55 USD||$55 USD|
|16-20||$55 USD||$60 USD|
|21-25||$45 USD||$65 USD|
*Addgene has partnered with a distributor in Japan to allow payment in yen. Learn more here. Prices will vary from those listed above.
Kit prices vary. You will be able to see the price of a kit once it has been added to your cart. The total price of your order (including shipping) can be viewed in your cart before proceeding through checkout.
Shipping and Handling Charges:
S&H prices vary based on the number of plasmids requested, according to the table above. An additional $5 shipping charge applies for each additional 5 plasmids ordered (over the 25 plasmid example in the table). Kit shipping and handling costs vary and will be indicated in your cart. The total price of your order (including shipping) can be viewed in your cart before proceeding through checkout.
During the checkout process, you can enter a credit card or purchase order (PO) as payment.
- If you choose to pay by credit card, Addgene will charge your card after your order ships.
- If you choose to pay by Purchase Order, Addgene will send an invoice to the billing address you enter during checkout. Once received, this invoice can be paid by check, bank transfer, or credit card. Payment is due 30 days from the invoice date.
- Please note that Addgene only accepts payment in USD.
Addgene's goal is to make research tools available to the entire scientific community. If your laboratory cannot afford the standard prices, Addgene can help defray this cost. This policy exists to enable the distribution of materials to underfunded labs (e.g. in developing countries). If you believe your lab qualifies, please email Addgene at [email protected] with a brief explanation of your financial situation.
For more information on pricing and payment, please visit our FAQ page.
Shipping and Customs
Addgene uses UPS for shipping. When your order is shipped, you will receive an email notification including the UPS tracking number for your reference.
- Individual plasmids are shipped as bacterial stabs at room temperature. Stabs are stable for up to 2 weeks in transit. For directions on recovering your plasmid from your stab, click here.
- Kits are generally shipped on dry ice. For some international locations, kits will be shipped at room temperature due to customs restrictions. Each kit comes with detailed instructions for how to recover the samples once they are received.
- If an order includes BOTH individual plasmids and a kit, the items may be shipped separately.
Customs and Duties for International Shipping:
Addgene includes a thorough customs invoice and shipper's declaration with every order. Most shipments clear customs without a problem. Please note that requesting scientists are responsible for making arrangements for prompt payment of applicable duties and taxes assessed by your country's customs agent. To see if we have special shipping instructions for your country, please see our International Shipping and Customs Assistance Page.
For more information about shipping, please visit our FAQ page.
Addgene's entire collection is available to academic and non-profit institutions.
By request of the depositing institutions, a limited subset of Addgene's plasmid collection is available to for-profit entities.
Addgene requires a signed implementing letter and Uniform Biological Materials Transfer Agreement (UBMTA) to accompany each order. This Material Transfer Agreement (MTA) is widely accepted by both US and international institutions and offers intellectual property and liability protection for the material providers as well as informs recipients how the material may be used.
To begin the MTA process, the recipient scientist needs to sign the Recipient Scientist Acknowledgement, which Addgene emails when the order is placed. Addgene then emails a link to the Material Transfer Agreement to be forwarded to the appropriate signatory. Addgene cannot process or ship an order until the MTA process is completed. For more information about Addgene MTAs, please visit our MTA page.
All purchases are subject to Addgene's Terms of Purchase.