Are you looking for a career in a mission-driven organization with a fun, enthusiastic, and collaborative environment? Check out our job openings below. We are a global, nonprofit plasmid repository dedicated to making it easier for scientists to share research materials.
Who We Are
Addgene is a thriving nonprofit founded in 2004 that facilitates biomedical research and discovery. Our biorepository stores, archives, and distributes DNA-based materials called plasmids for academic scientists around the world. Addgene's plasmid collection is used to advance research in a wide variety of disciplines, including cancer, heart disease, and neurodegenerative disorders.
We are a growing company offering opportunities for scientists and non-scientists alike to contribute to the scientific community.
Addgene is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Why Work Here
Addgene's culture of collaboration, initiative, and flexibility makes it an ideal place to work and contribute. Our energetic team is dedicated to the mission of the organization and to making a difference within not only the scientific community but also in the communities in which we live and work. Some reasons why you will want to consider a career at Addgene include:
We offer a comprehensive 100% company-paid benefit package that includes health, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability insurance. In addition, employees are encouraged to participate in an individual retirement account. We also offer flexible spending accounts for medical and dependent care expenses. The cost of public transportation or parking is fully paid by the company.
Our generous and flexible paid time off practices help maintain work life balance while providing opportunities for relaxation, travel, and fun throughout the year. In addition to the 10-12 paid holidays each year, we offer vacation, personal and sick time as well as winter break. We also offer paid parental leave.
Collaborative Team Environment
We have a casual work atmosphere where everyone’s opinions and ideas are valued. We offer opportunities to work on and lead projects in a variety of areas.
Professional Development Opportunities
We encourage professional development for our employees and provide support to take advantage of such opportunities. We host professional development discussion groups, offer on-site training, and make funding available for outside programs. Departmental career ladders allow opportunities for advancement and goal-oriented performance discussions take place at least annually.
Fun Events & Activities
We encourage and support team building activities both within and outside of the workplace, including volunteer projects, book club, cook-offs, trivia nights, and sporting events. We celebrate birthdays, work anniversaries, and successes.
Our office is conveniently located at 75 Sidney Street in Cambridge, MA close to Central Square. Employees have the opportunity to enjoy many amenities that this dynamic and thriving area offers.
*Please note benefits may differ for part time employees.
Current Job Openings
Senior Scientist / Viral Vector Lab Operations
Addgene is now exploring new ways to serve the research community, and we are seeking a scientist to build and oversee Addgene’s viral production capabilities. This is a terrific opportunity to become part of a dynamic environment and to contribute to an important resource for the scientific community.
Addgene is looking for an energetic individual with experience in molecular and cell biology, and expertise in viral production and quality control. You will report to the Chief Scientific Officer and manage production and distribution of virus from our lab in Cambridge, MA. You will spend a portion of your time managing and a portion of your time at the bench. Examples of specific tasks include:
- Manage scientists and technicians on the viral production team
- Carry out lab work related to the production, quality control, and distribution of viral particles (with a focus on lentivirus and AAV)
- Optimize protocols for production and quality control of viral particles
- Ensure accuracy of materials by designing and implementing tracking systems for the process
- Oversee smooth lab operations as related to viral production, including creating SOPs, managing supply levels, and maintaining a clean, safe working environment
- Collaborate with other members of Addgene to optimize related processes, including shipping and technical support
- Publish scholarly articles in journals and craft scientific communications for website and blog as relevant
- Lead and participate on special projects as needed
Candidates should be enthusiastic, self-motivated, organized individuals who want to be a part of Addgene’s mission. Specific qualifications include:
- PhD in Biology or life science discipline
- Solid research experience and familiarity with molecular and cell biology with a particular focus on viral production
- Experience managing scientists or technicians
- Experience in industry or with operations a plus
- Must be able to communicate effectively in English; strong written and oral communication skills required
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Enthusiastic and self-motivated
- Able to manage multiple tasks efficiently
- Familiar with general computer software
- Successful applicants will be asked to show proof that they can legally work in the United States
Compensation commensurate with experience. Addgene offers a comprehensive 100% company-paid benefit package that includes health, dental, life, short-term, and long-term disability insurance. In addition, employees are encouraged to participate in an individual 403(b)(7)-retirement account. The cost of public transportation or parking is fully paid by the company.
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Only applications with a cover letter AND resume will be considered.