Are you looking for a career in a mission-driven organization with a fun, high-energy environment? Check out our job openings at Addgene. We are a global, nonprofit plasmid repository dedicated to making it easier for scientists to share research materials.
Who We Are
Addgene is a thriving nonprofit founded in 2004 that facilitates biomedical research and discovery. Our biorepository stores, archives, and distributes DNA-based materials called plasmids for academic scientists around the world. Addgene's plasmid collection is used to advance research in a wide variety of disciplines, including cancer, heart disease, and neurodegenerative disorders.
We are a young, growing company offering opportunities for scientists and non-scientists alike to contribute to the scientific community.
Why Work Here
Addgene's culture of collaboration, initiative, and flexibility makes it an ideal place to work and contribute. Our energetic team is dedicated to the mission of the organization and to making a difference within not only the scientific community but also in the communities in which we live and work. Some reasons why you will want to consider a career at Addgene include:
We offer a comprehensive 100% company-paid benefit package that includes health, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability insurance. In addition, employees are encouraged to participate in a individual retirement account. The cost of public transportation or parking is fully paid by the company. These benefits apply to full-time regular employees.
Vacation & Other Paid Time Off
Our generous and flexible paid time off practices provide opportunities for relaxation, travel, and fun throughout the year. These benefits apply to full- and part-time regular employees.
Collaborative Team Environment
We offer opportunities to work on and lead projects in a variety of areas.
Professional Development Opportunities
We host professional development discussion groups, offer on-site training, and make funding available for outside programs. Departmental career ladders allow opportunities for advancement and goal-oriented performance discussions take place at least annually.
Fun Events & Activities
We encourage and support team building activities both within and outside of the workplace, including volunteer projects, book club, cook-offs, trivia nights, and sporting events. We celebrate birthdays, work anniversaries, and successes.
Our office is conveniently located at 75 Sidney Street in Cambridge, MA close to Central Square. Employees have the opportunity to enjoy many amenities that this dynamic and thriving area offers.
Current Job Openings
Part Time Outreach & Data Collection Assistant
The Outreach and Data Collection Assistant will facilitate efforts to increase awareness and engagement in the scientific community by identifying and curating potential participants for the repository through strategies including browsing university websites. The Outreach and Data Collection Assistant will help to foster Addgene’s community of depositing scientists through additional administrative tasks including organizing contact information and assembling packages to mail to Addgene’s deposit scientist community.
- Collect contact information and organize results in MS Excel and/or Google applications
- Write notes and assemble packages for mailing to members of Addgene’s community of depositing scientists
- Assist with Outreach assignments and projects as needed
- Position is 16 hours per week with possibility of occasional opportunities up to 20 hours per week
- Hours are flexible within normal business hours (Monday – Friday, 9am – 5pm)
- Excellent organization skills and attention to detail
- Experience with general computer software, including MS Office (including MS Excel), Google applications, and web applications
- Experience with college level biology courses desirable but not required
- March/April 2015
Please send brief cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Director of Finance
The Director of Finance will be an operational and strategic leader for the company and report to the Executive Director (ED). The successful candidate will be a hands-on partner managing all financial operations and supporting business planning and business development. This is a terrific opportunity to join a dynamic team and to contribute to an important resource for the scientific community in a company with a unique culture.
- Financial Management:
- Develop and utilize forward-looking, predictive models and activity-based financial analyses to craft financial plans and forecasts
- Produce, analyze and present financial reports; communicate monthly and annual financial statements, and oversee all financial accounting
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors and the audit committee of the Board of Directors; assess any changes necessary
- Ensure financial activity complies with Addgene investment policy
- Alongside the external audit/tax firm, prepare and file annual reports including the 990 and Form PC
- Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the ED; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and keep senior leadership team informed of the organization’s financial status
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting
- Oversee financial accounting systems, including existing Netsuite implementation
- General knowledge of international accounting practices is a plus
- Oversee, update and implement all necessary accounting policies and practices; improve the finance department’s overall policy and procedure manual
- Effectively communicate and present the critical financial matters to the Board of Directors and the audit committee
- Provide financial insight into strategic decision-making throughout the organization, including pricing on products and services
- Work with the Director of Operations to oversee the processing of accounts receivable and accounts payables
- Manage vendor relationships with the Director of Operations
- Cooperate with the ED and Legal Team to identify corporate legal issues (e.g. trademark, risk management, non-tech transfer contracts, business insurance)
- Human Resources:
- 403b Administration
- Collaborate with Accounting Manager on payroll administration, time tracking, check reimbursements and expense reports
- Work in collaboration with HR on compensation, professional development reimbursements, and benefits renewal and pricing
- Business Development:
- A critical aspect of success is the ability to identify and evaluate risks and opportunities with each unique business model and industry structure
- Manage business model structuring and implementation
- Manage corporate structuring, including mergers and acquisitions and divestitures
- Support the Business Development team to research and develop strategies for international growth and expansion, including finding solutions payments, distribution, and marketing
- Support in financial aspects of contract and agreement negotiations (e.g. licensing fees, financial targets)
- Minimum of a MBA/CPA or related degree
- At least five-seven years of overall professional experience in financial/accounting roles
- The ideal candidate has the experience of final responsibility for quality and content of all financial data, reporting, and audit coordination for a significant program area
- Ability to translate financial concepts to, and to effectively collaborate with, colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds
- Technologically savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors; knowledge of accounting and reporting software
- A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills that support and enable sound decision making
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of Addgene
Addgene has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Liz Lombard.
Part-time Lab Assistant (20 hours per week)
Addgene is currently seeking a Part-Time Lab Assistant (20 hours per week). This position will assist the laboratory staff as requested and directed to process incoming DNA samples, as well as fulfilling requests for DNA samples.
- Fulfill requests for DNA samples; prepare samples for shipment, print order fulfillment documents, and package samples into boxes for shipment
- Prepare and dispense media using sterile techniques
- Assist with other routine lab operation tasks as instructed
- Lab experience or college-level lab classes
- Familiarity with pipetting and using sterile technique preferred
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Familiarity with general computer software, including MS Office and web applications
- Self-motivated, organized, able to work independently
- Must be able to communicate effectively in English; strong written and oral communication skills required
- Must be able to lift and move up to 25 lbs.
Please send brief cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only applications with a cover letter AND resume will be considered.