Are you looking for a career in a mission-driven organization with a fun, enthusiastic, and collaborative environment? Check out our job openings below. We are a global, nonprofit plasmid repository dedicated to making it easier for scientists to share research materials.
Who We Are
Addgene is a thriving nonprofit founded in 2004 that facilitates biomedical research and discovery. Our biorepository stores, archives, and distributes DNA-based materials called plasmids for academic scientists around the world. Addgene's plasmid collection is used to advance research in a wide variety of disciplines, including cancer, heart disease, and neurodegenerative disorders.
We are a growing company offering opportunities for scientists and non-scientists alike to contribute to the scientific community.
Addgene is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Why Work Here
Addgene's culture of collaboration, initiative, and flexibility makes it an ideal place to work and contribute. Our energetic team is dedicated to the mission of the organization and to making a difference within not only the scientific community but also in the communities in which we live and work. Some reasons why you will want to consider a career at Addgene include:
We offer a comprehensive 100% company-paid benefit package that includes health, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability insurance. In addition, employees are encouraged to participate in an individual retirement account. We also offer flexible spending accounts for medical and dependent care expenses. The cost of public transportation or parking is fully paid by the company.
Our generous and flexible paid time off practices help maintain work life balance while providing opportunities for relaxation, travel, and fun throughout the year. In addition to the 10-12 paid holidays each year, we offer vacation, personal and sick time as well as winter break. We also offer paid parental leave.
Collaborative Team Environment
We have a casual work atmosphere where everyone’s opinions and ideas are valued. We offer opportunities to work on and lead projects in a variety of areas.
Professional Development Opportunities
We encourage professional development for our employees and provide support to take advantage of such opportunities. We host professional development discussion groups, offer on-site training, and make funding available for outside programs. Departmental career ladders allow opportunities for advancement and goal-oriented performance discussions take place at least annually.
Fun Events & Activities
We encourage and support team building activities both within and outside of the workplace, including volunteer projects, book club, cook-offs, trivia nights, and sporting events. We celebrate birthdays, work anniversaries, and successes.
Our office is conveniently located at 75 Sidney Street in Cambridge, MA close to Central Square. Employees have the opportunity to enjoy many amenities that this dynamic and thriving area offers.
*Please note benefits may differ for part-time employees.
Current Job Openings
Team Lead/Senior Software Engineer
Addgene is seeking a Team Lead/Senior Software Engineer to manage three software engineers, help plan our work and write some code. This is a full time opportunity starting February 2017.
- You will report to the Senior Director of Software Engineering
- You will manage team members, providing day to day support, weekly 1:1 meetings, annual reviews, and guidance for both technical and professional development
- You will participate in project management and planning, working with other Addgenies to provide the technical expertise and scoping guidance needed to properly prioritize and break down tasks and issues
- You will work with project and issue sponsors to clarify requirements, provide estimates, verify solutions and update them with issue status
- You will design, implement, test, verify and deploy solutions to “issues”, working closely with Addgenie “owners”
- You will review other team members’ code, and also have your code reviewed
- You will keep up to date with new technologies and best practices and seek out opportunities to integrate them into our code base and processes
- You will have the opportunity to attend at least one professional conference per year
Candidates should be enthusiastic, self-motivated, organized individuals who want to be a part of Addgene’s mission. Specific qualifications include:
- Experience as a Technical Lead in a professional environment
- Experience in a
cat herderSupervisory position is a plus
- Experience developing web applications, preferably using Python and Django and some of the other usual suspects: jQuery, Bootstrap, Apache, MariaDB, Linux, HTTP, AWS, CDN
- Experience with standard software engineering practices, including source control (we use Github), testing (we use Python unittest, Selenium and Cucumber), code reviews (we use Github Pull Requests) and deployment (we use Fabric and Ansible)
Please submit your resume and a cover letter explaining why you are best suited for this job to email@example.com. Only applications with a cover letter AND resume will be considered.
Customer Support Specialist
Addgene is currently seeking a full-time Customer Support Specialist to join our team. Though Addgene’s focus is supporting the scientific community, no science background is required for this role. Support Specialists at Addgene keep business activities organized and moving forward. You will perform a wide range of tasks related to order processing and internal operations. You will also have the opportunity to interact with Addgene’s customers as you provide customer service via e-mail and telephone. This is a full time opportunity starting February 2017.
- Provide high-quality customer service via email and telephone. Answer customer questions and troubleshoot issues related to placing orders, approving legal agreements, shipping, and payment.
- Review and process order documentation such as legal agreements, import permits and other necessary files. Assist with other order processing and administrative tasks as assigned.
- Collaborate within Addgene’s office team and across teams on a variety of projects to improve customer service and operations.
- Serve as backup on other administrative and reception tasks as needed
Candidates should be self-motivated, organized individuals who want to be a part of Addgene’s mission of making it easier for scientists to share materials. You must be dependable and able to meet deadlines with minimum supervision. You must also possess the ability and flexibility to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and prioritize requests from various sources. Specific qualifications include:
- Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts degree
- Ability to learn new concepts, processes, and technology quickly
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact effectively and productively with customers and all levels of staff
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Experience with general computer software, including MS Office and web applications
- Previous administrative and/or customer service experience desired
Please send a cover letter AND resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only applications with a cover letter AND resume will be considered.
Part-time Order Processing Assistant (20 hours per week)
In this position, you will assist the laboratory staff as requested and directed with preparing and packaging plasmid orders. You will spend approximately 75% of your time packaging orders and 25% of your time may be spent in the lab.
- Prepare samples for shipment, print order fulfillment documents, and package samples into boxes for shipment
- Prepare and dispense media using sterile techniques
- Assist with other routine lab operation tasks as instructed
- Interest in life sciences industry
- Familiarity with pipetting and using sterile, aseptic technique preferred
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Familiarity with general computer software, including MS Office and web applications
- Self-motivated, organized, able to work independently
- Must be able to communicate effectively in English; strong written and oral communication skills required
- Must be able to lift and move up to 25 lbs
Monday-Friday; 9am – 1:00pm
Please send a brief cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Only applications with a cover letter AND resume will be considered.