Are you looking for a career in a mission-driven organization with a fun, enthusiastic, and collaborative environment? Check out our job openings below. We are a global, nonprofit plasmid repository dedicated to making it easier for scientists to share research materials.
Who We Are
Addgene is a thriving nonprofit founded in 2004 that facilitates biomedical research and discovery. Our biorepository stores, archives, and distributes DNA-based materials called plasmids for academic scientists around the world. Addgene's plasmid collection is used to advance research in a wide variety of disciplines, including cancer, heart disease, and neurodegenerative disorders.
We are a growing company offering opportunities for scientists and non-scientists alike to contribute to the scientific community.
Addgene is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Why Work Here
Addgene's culture of collaboration, initiative, and flexibility makes it an ideal place to work and contribute. Our energetic team is dedicated to the mission of the organization and to making a difference within not only the scientific community but also in the communities in which we live and work. Some reasons why you will want to consider a career at Addgene include:
We offer a comprehensive 100% company-paid benefit package that includes health, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability insurance. In addition, employees are encouraged to participate in an individual retirement account. We also offer flexible spending accounts for medical and dependent care expenses. The cost of public transportation or parking is fully paid by the company.
Our generous and flexible paid time off practices help maintain work life balance while providing opportunities for relaxation, travel, and fun throughout the year. In addition to the 10-12 paid holidays each year, we offer vacation, personal and sick time as well as winter break. We also offer paid parental leave.
Collaborative Team Environment
We have a casual work atmosphere where everyone’s opinions and ideas are valued. We offer opportunities to work on and lead projects in a variety of areas.
Professional Development Opportunities
We encourage professional development for our employees and provide support to take advantage of such opportunities. We host professional development discussion groups, offer on-site training, and make funding available for outside programs. Departmental career ladders allow opportunities for advancement and goal-oriented performance discussions take place at least annually.
Fun Events & Activities
We encourage and support team building activities both within and outside of the workplace, including volunteer projects, book club, cook-offs, trivia nights, and sporting events. We celebrate birthdays, work anniversaries, and successes.
Addgene is located at 490 Arsenal Way in Watertown, MA.
*Please note benefits may differ for part-time employees.
Current Job Openings
Senior DNA Services Manager
Addgene is a non-profit company that facilitates biomedical research and discovery. Addgene assists scientists by archiving and distributing plasmid samples, viral particles, and other DNA-based products to researchers who need them for future experiments. Broad availability of these unique research materials promotes both the progress of research and Addgene’s mission to increase collaboration in the scientific community.
We are seeking a Senior DNA Services Manager to oversee lab processes and personnel involved with current and future inventoried DNA products and services. Additionally, you will support QC initiatives to improve success rates while maintaining our high quality standards. The ideal candidate will be motivated, possess strong communication and management skills, and have outstanding laboratory experience and ability. This is a terrific opportunity to contribute to an important resource for the scientific community.
Essential Functions/Job Responsibilities
Reporting to the Director of QC/QA, you will manage the execution and improvement of DNA-based product production and oversee DNA-based distribution services in our lab in Watertown, MA. You will have the opportunity to contribute to Addgene’s mission by:
- Effectively managing DNA team personnel providing support, mentorship, and technical expertise
- Carrying out lab work related to the production, quality control, and distribution of DNA based products for internal and external use
- Conducting computer-based work, including use of our in-house LIMS system, to ensure smooth operations of service
- Proactively evaluating DNA lab protocols and procedures to identify areas of improvement. Identifying and implementing solutions to technical challenges and/or mitigating gaps in current pipelines to enable on-time and on-budget delivery of DNA based products
- Working closely with Sr. Scientific lab manager to ensure continuity between inventoried DNA services and classic plasmid distribution services. Acting as main liaison with other teams on specific projects related to lab DNA processes
- Leading and participating on special projects as needed
Candidates should be responsible, self-motivated individuals who want to be a part of Addgene’s mission. Specific qualifications include:
- PhD degree in Biology or a life science discipline with 2+ years related laboratory experience; MS with 4+ years related laboratory experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Demonstrated managerial and supervisory ability and well-developed leadership skills
- Experience in a core facility or production environment preferred
- Small and large scale DNA extraction experience required, knowledge of high throughput extraction methodologies a plus
- Outstanding organizational skills and ability to effectively prioritize and execute multiple tasks and/or projects
- Proven ability to evaluate and produce reliable results, problem-solve and troubleshoot complex problems
- Must be able to communicate effectively in English; strong written and oral communication skills required
- Familiar with general computer software
- Successful applicants will be asked to show proof that they can legally work in the United States
Please send your resume and cover letter to [email protected]. Only applications with a resume AND cover letter will be considered.