Are you looking for a career in a mission-driven organization with a fun, enthusiastic, and collaborative environment? Check out our job openings below. We are a global, nonprofit plasmid repository dedicated to making it easier for scientists to share research materials.
Who We Are
Addgene is a thriving nonprofit founded in 2004 that facilitates biomedical research and discovery. Our biorepository stores, archives, and distributes DNA-based materials called plasmids for academic scientists around the world. Addgene's plasmid collection is used to advance research in a wide variety of disciplines, including cancer, heart disease, and neurodegenerative disorders.
We are a growing company offering opportunities for scientists and non-scientists alike to contribute to the scientific community.
Addgene is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Why Work Here
Addgene's culture of collaboration, initiative, and flexibility makes it an ideal place to work and contribute. Our energetic team is dedicated to the mission of the organization and to making a difference within not only the scientific community but also in the communities in which we live and work. Some reasons why you will want to consider a career at Addgene include:
We offer a comprehensive 100% company-paid benefit package that includes health, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability insurance. In addition, employees are encouraged to participate in an individual retirement account. We also offer flexible spending accounts for medical and dependent care expenses. The cost of public transportation or parking is fully paid by the company.
Our generous and flexible paid time off practices help maintain work life balance while providing opportunities for relaxation, travel, and fun throughout the year. In addition to the 10-12 paid holidays each year, we offer vacation, personal and sick time as well as winter break. We also offer paid parental leave.
Collaborative Team Environment
We have a casual work atmosphere where everyone’s opinions and ideas are valued. We offer opportunities to work on and lead projects in a variety of areas.
Professional Development Opportunities
We encourage professional development for our employees and provide support to take advantage of such opportunities. We host professional development discussion groups, offer on-site training, and make funding available for outside programs. Departmental career ladders allow opportunities for advancement and goal-oriented performance discussions take place at least annually.
Fun Events & Activities
We encourage and support team building activities both within and outside of the workplace, including volunteer projects, book club, cook-offs, trivia nights, and sporting events. We celebrate birthdays, work anniversaries, and successes.
Addgene is located at 490 Arsenal Way in Watertown, MA.
*Please note benefits may differ for part-time employees.
Current Job Openings
Addgene is looking for an enthusiastic scientist with experience in molecular biology who will help the organization better serve scientists in the Asian research communities.
Although you will not be conducting bench research, you will use your research experience to assist the scientific community. Examples of specific tasks include:
- Solicit and facilitate plasmid deposits by working with academic researchers and members of their laboratories
- Travel to universities and institutions (with a focus on Asian research communities) on a regular basis to acquire new materials and raise awareness of Addgene’s services, including organizing and executing one-on-one and group meetings with scientists, and giving talks to increase awareness of Addgene
- Build and maintain relationships with scientists
- Attend and speak at international conferences
- Assist Addgene’s team with interfacing with scientists and customers in Asia
- Assist with crafting communications, blog posts and marketing materials from Addgene customized for the Asian research communities
- Support Asian marketing initiatives to increase awareness of Addgene, such as organizing conference sponsorships and seminars
- Assist and lead special projects
- Regular international travel, including to Asia (approximately 25%)
Candidates should be enthusiastic, self-motivated, organized individuals who want to be a part of Addgene’s mission. You must be willing to travel regularly (approximately 25% of time) and to Asia. You should possess the ability to manage multiple tasks efficiently. Specific qualifications include:
- PhD in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Cell Biology or related field required
- Solid understanding of the principles of cloning and plasmid design
- Excellent written and verbal science communication skills, including public speaking and presentation proficiency
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work closely with scientists
- Excellent networking skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Experience at Asian universities or research institutions a plus
- Experience with marketing/sales a plus
- Fluency in English and Mandarin Chinese required
Please send your resume and cover letter to [email protected]. Only applications with a resume AND cover letter will be considered.