Ginkgo Bioworks COVID-19 Plasmid Collection
Researchers developing novel diagnostics, therapeutics, and vaccines against COVID-19 all rely on DNA encoding viral proteins as a first step for many different kinds of important experiments. In an effort to speed up research of SARS-CoV-2, Ginkgo Bioworks is using their DNA design and synthesis capabilities, in collaboration with researchers at Stanford University’s Department of Bioengineering, to build DNA that will enable researchers to express SARS-CoV-2 viral proteins in several expression systems.
Addgene has partnered with Ginkgo to make these plasmids available to scientists in academic and industrial organizations. For more information on ordering from a for-profit entity, please see our Plasmid Distribution to Industry page. The list of plasmids available to industry is continually growing. Sign up to get email updates for the newest plasmids available to industry.
These plasmids have not been expressed or functionally validated by Ginkgo or Addgene. Help us increase the value of this collection by contributing your results. If you describe the use of a plasmid in an article, please fill out this Google Form and we will add your citation to the plasmid page on our website.
The following types of plasmids are available or expected to be available soon:
- Bacterial expression: SARS-CoV-2 genes in E. coli vectors with various N- and C-terminal tags for protein expression and/or purification
- Yeast expression: SARS-CoV-2 genes in yeast expression vectors with various C-terminal tags for protein expression and/or purification
- Mammalian expression - Now available!
- SARS-CoV-2 genes in mammalian expression vectors with various tags/fusions for protein expression and/or purification
- Truncated SARS-CoV-2 Spike gene constructs for making VSV pseudovirus
- Common human coronavirus (OC43, NL63, HKU1, and 229E) nucleocapsid genes in mammalian expression vectors
- Viral parts: Plasmids containing larger segments of viral DNA - Coming soon!
Receive email alerts when plasmids from Ginkgo Bioworks become available: Subscribe to Alerts
Browse the table below for SARS-CoV-2 genes in bacterial, yeast, or mammalian expression vectors with various N- and C-terminal tags for protein expression and/or purification. Use the search bar or sort buttons to find SARS-CoV-2 plasmids based on:
- Gene insert (e.g. spike, envelope, or nsp3)
- Expression type (e.g. bacterial, yeast, or mammalian)
- Tags (e.g. 6xHis, Flag, StrepII, HA, Myc, SUMO, GST, MBP, CBP, S-tag, TAP tag, TRX, or V5)
- Wild type vs codon-optimized expression (e.g. wt or recode)
Addgene COVID-19 Resources
- Read Addgene's Blog Synthesized by Ginkgo Bioworks, Shared by Addgene: SARS-CoV-2 Plasmids for Many Expression Systems for a summary of the Ginkgo collection at Addgene.
- Addgene's COVID-19 and Coronavirus Plasmids & Resources page outlines our entire COVID-19 collection. Additionally, we have linked to collections of open-access articles, protocols, and other resource collections related to COVID-19 that may be of use to scientists.
- Addgene's Protocol for RNA Extraction Without A Kit
- For more research related resources, such as reagents, data, news, and more, please see Ginkgo's Synthetic Biology (and beyond) Community response to COVID-19